Book Travel

Banner Image: 
Section Options: 
Background Image (Focus Bottom)


Book Travel

My ASU Trip


Submitting Your International Trip Request

Before you can book your travel, you, or a delegate, must create a trip request in My ASU TRIP. You should submit your trip request at least two weeks in advance of your departure date as international trip requests often require additional approvals. For instructions on creating your trip request, see the My ASU Trip homepage. 

Air Travel


Complying with the Fly America Act

If you are paying for your travel with federal funds, you are generally required to travel on an air carrier that meets the U.S. government's safety and economic standards. The list of approved air carriers includes not only major carriers, like American and Delta, but also smaller, more obscure carriers. In some cases, your travel may be eligible for an exception. Before booking travel, make sure you understand the Fly America Act.


Flying in Developing Countries

If you are flying in a developing country, research the safety record of the airline before booking a ticket. Confirm your ticket a day or so in advance by calling or visiting the airport office. More and more airlines are offering online check-in, but it is not always reliable. Consider arriving at least three hours in advance of your flight so that you have time to resolve any issues that may arise. If available, consider purchasing access to the VIP lounge in the airport so that you can wait for your flight in a more secure area.  



Finding Suitable Lodging

When researching lodging options, take into consideration a range of criteria, including location, cost, safety and security, infrastructure, amenities, and services. Review the general pros and cons of staying in a large hotel vs. a guesthouse below. 

  Large hotel Guesthouse

Built to code/regulations (international chain)
Higher security
Better IT infrastructure
More amenities and services

Lower profile
Less expensive
Easier access to local knowledge


Higher profile
More expensive
Harder for local contacts to visit if high security

May or may not be built to code/regulations
Lower or no security
Worse IT infrastructure
Fewer amenities and services

Determine the key criteria for your particular destination so that you can properly prepare. Keep in mind the Department of State foreign per diem rates when making your reservation.


Local Travel and Services


Obtaining Security Services

If you are traveling to a location with a U.S. Department of State travel warning or alert, you may want to, or ASU management may direct you to, obtain security services. If you require assistance with this process, contact Global Operations. We have a contract in place with a security firm that covers many countries.


Hiring a Fixer

A fixer is a local individual whom you pay to assist you with a variety of activities before and throughout your trip. Fixers can do anything from arranging meetings, lodging and transportation, to serving as your driver, translator and cultural consultant. It is important to have a fixer that you can rely on 100%. The best way to find a fixer is by recommendation from someone you trust. It can be very difficult to vet people in certain countries; so, reputation is key.


Hiring a Driver

If you are traveling to a location without safe and reliable public transportation or roads, consider hiring a driver. There are many benefits to hiring a driver, including knowledge of local roads, languages and norms. Your security detail or fixer can also serve as your driver. Fully vet your driver well in advance of your trip, including confirming that he/she has a safe and reliable vehicle. Agree on a rate upfront, and be prudent about when you provide payment to the driver.

Road traffic collisions are the most frequent cause of death among travelers. The risks associated with road traffic collisions are greatest in low- and middle-income countries, where trauma care systems may not be well developed.

- World Health Organization


Renting a Car

Renting a car in a foreign country requires more preparation than renting a car in the U.S. You will likely need to be able to drive a manual transmission or specifically request an automatic transmission. You should familiarize yourself with relevant laws, including those for seat belts, speeding and accidents. Many countries have much harsher penalties for accidents than the U.S. Finally, you must obtain the proper licensing and insurance.


Driver's Licenses

Many countries do not recognize U.S. driver's licenses, but most recognize the International Driving Permit. If you need to obtain an International Driving Permit, you can do so through one of two U.S. organizations: the American Automobile Association (AAA) or the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA). The permit is $20, and AATA charges an additional $10 for shipping and handling.  


Car Insurance 

If driving in a foreign country, you will need to purchase property and liability insurance. It is usually possible to do this through the car rental company. Purchase coverage that is comparable, or better than, your U.S. coverage. Only allow individuals named on the insurance policy to drive the rental car.

If you are driving a university-owned/leased vehicle in Mexico on authorized university business, ASU's property and liability insurance covers you. However, you must obtain proof of insurance from ASU Insurance Services, and keep it in the car. You should also become familiar with the State of Arizona and ASU Risk Management's information on accidents and accident reporting for Mexico. You must report all accidents while you are still in Mexico.